Thursday, February 9, 2012

Being a good sport

Being sidelined with an injury is hard. My mood has definitely changed over the past 2 weeks, I'm grumpy and frustrated that I am not physically able to do what I want to do. I also know, that if I do what I need to do now that I will heal and be able to run again. That doesn't mean that my brain isn't messing with me. This is supposed to be a big year for me. I'm hoping for PR's across the board in the 5k, 10k and 1/2 Marathon distances. I've achieved my 10k PR but that 1/2 PR is really, really important to me. Am I constantly worrying about how being sidelined right now is going to affect that outcome? Yes, I am. I am also trying to do what I need to do for my body to recover.

This means instead of a 3 mile run today I headed out on a 2 mile walk today and tried to have a good attitude about it. There were several times where I felt that drive to run, but I fought it. I headed out to my favorite section of the Moraga-Lafayette trail this morning to try and get a fairly flat walk. This is me trying to maintain that positive attitude and reminding myself how good walking is for the body!


I really adore this section of the trail, maybe I won't so much when it becomes a part of my longer runs and I'm getting there by running from the house and not driving to the park. It's just so peaceful and pretty here.


I felt really good after the walk. During the walk I felt some definite calf tightness so maybe it is just a really tight muscle and maybe my Chiro can help loosen that up so more tomorrow. I did feel some lower back pain at one point and my Sports Med doc did mention it could be sciatica. I'll continue to do my floor exercises and see if I can strengthen the leg further. My extreme hope it actually be able to run on Tuesday which is technically my first run day of the 1/2 training program. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. Good girl following the plan for rehab. You've got time in the bank to recovery and still get going on your training plan, so don't stress. (That said, I've been injured before and I remember HATING everyone else who could run, damn those bastards for not being injured too)

    Something random to think about going forward when you do start running again. Make your easy runs REALLY easy. Don't worry about beating your past times or try to push the pace every run. I've only gotten better about this since my coach made me, but the easy days are supposed to be 1:30-2:00/mi slower than your 5k pace. Like stupid easy. They help you build a stronger base without damaging you as much.

    And now my lower back hurts. I'm going to blame all this stupid core work and swimming. And go schedule a massage :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was giving the evil eye to every runner I saw this morning! Thanks for the advice, I was actually thinking about trying run/walk intervals on Tuesday depending on how it all feels.

    ReplyDelete