Sunday, October 17, 2010

I did it!

I ran 6 miles today! I'm flabbergasted, I'm doing this because I know I can, but I can't help but be amazed that I actually ran 6 miles today, the furthest ever.

We went to a wedding last night and I had 2 glasses of champagne, the first alcohol I have had on 1 month due to being sick and medication. I completed my rounds of meds on Tuesday but wanted to be super safe and wait to have any alcohol as Flagyl and alcohol can result in serious vomiting and pain. I was surprised when we got home and I felt a little nauseous, maybe I should have waited longer.

Needless to say I woke up with a small headache, probably not enough water yesterday, but was ready to fuel and get it done. Breakfast went over like a fart in church (as my husband likes to say). I could only eat half of it as I was really just not hungry. I downed an Expresso Love Gu (in the hopes of simulating morning coffee) and got on my way. It was cold this morning! I'm not complaining, because I love to run in the cold and once I had 1 mile in I was good. I followed my usual path to the Moraga Commons where I would pick up the trail. It actually started sprinkling on me! I though that maybe I should have worn long sleeves, but it didn't do much other than sprinkle. As I hit my turn around mark I knew I could anticipate a slight downhill back to the Commons. I took advantage of that and felt super strong! As I was getting close to the park I decided it would be a good time to consume a gu, so I could throw it away and not try to pack it back home and getting gooey. This was the first attempt at consuming gu while still running. It went pretty well, I consumed a Mandarin Orange Gu and tossed it at the garbage can in the park and downed some water. Wow, that was easy. The stretch of road between the park and Moraga Way is flat and once again I felt really strong. Once I hit Moraga Way I know it's the home stretch with about 1.5 miles to go. I pace myself as the last 1/2 mile of the run will be a slow uphill. I took advantage of the last downhill section on the pedestrian path and pushed forward. The last quarter mile was really tough, I was running so slow that I felt like I was stuck in molasses. I was talking out load to myself, verbal persuasions of "6 miles baby", "push", everything I could think of. Good thing on a cold Sunday morning all of neighbors were cozy in their homes not to hear my pep talks. 6 miles never felt so good, well at least at the end of the 6 miles!

I am super proud of myself and feeling confident that come December 5th, 13.1 miles will feel just as good!

Next up, Livermore's Grape Stomp 5k!

Week end totals:

Run: 14 miles
Bike: 12.76 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment