Sunday, August 8, 2010

That was hard

Sunday's will be my long run day. Scott should have weekends off pretty soon, which will actually allow me to run long days on the road and not at the gym. In my effort to work up Hal Higdon's 12 week 1/2 marathon training program, I'm using his model but my mileage plans until about mid September when I'll start his official plan. Today on my schedule was 3 miles of running. The last time I actually ran 3 miles was at the CPOA Memorial Run in May. Needless to say. today's run hurt and since it was on a treadmill it was boring. And to make matters worse, my I-touch is doing this funky thing where it starts playing a song and skips to another and then another and if I'm really lucky another. I was about ready to take it and throw it across the gym. I guess I  need to look into seeing what the problem is. For the most part, my legs felt good, it was mostly my lungs and heart that were protesting today's run. I had to mentally tell myself (repeatedly) that no one said this would be easy, that I was not a quitter, there is no such thing as can't, and I can do this because I am strong and stubborn. I tried to imagine how good I would feel once I was done and had accomplished my goal for today. Finally, the mileage counter hit 3 miles.

After a cool down and some stretching I hit the restroom. Good lord, I looked like someone left me out in the sun all day yesterday. I get red in the face when I workout, but this was ridiculous. I splashed water on my face and I still looked the same. Really? This is kind of embarrassing, hopefully the further I condition my body the better it will get.

I sit here with my new Lululemon compression socks on. This is my third pair of compression socks, I figured I would need more with all of this running. Every pair I have is slightly different. I have a pair of Sugoi compression socks that I really love, so we'll see how these workout for me.


I survived the week, that's the most important thing. I think for next week, I'll keep the mileage the same for my long run day and then increase the following week. Right now, my body is adjusting to running 3 days a week and working out 6 days a week. I'm working to try and figure out my calorie intake with my increased workouts and hopefully still lose weight, but I seem to be hungry all of the time, so I need to focus on lots of small meals.

Week end Totals:

Run: 6 miles
Bike: 23 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment