Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sad day

I don't talk about it much, but I'm married to a Chippy. I remember the day 14 years ago when he told me he wanted to get involved in law enforcement. My response was "I'm not marrying a cop". Fast forward to today and he's a Sergeant with the CHP, and obviously I did indeed marry him. I've always been proud of him and his accomplishments, there have been many along the way. In the beginning people always asked me if I worried. I think I spent a lot of time living in denial. There were some scary things that happened, but I always found out after the fact when he was home safe. I also trust in him and the training he received from one of the most respected law enforcement agencies in the US.

Today with two young children I find comfort in the fact that he is currently off the road working in other capacities for the department. But no matter what you do, tragedy is always lurking around the corner.

Yesterday we were hit with the heartbreaking news that an officer from the Contra Costa Office and a friend was shot during a routine traffic stop. A routine traffic stop on 680 in the Walnut Creek/Alamo area. I won't post much more than that since the investigation is under way, and in the days and weeks to come more will be revealed. I will say, it was senseless and tragic. It's beyond my ability to comprehend why people disregard life in this way.

I'm thankful for our CHP family, we will pull together and support his family, that's the CHP way. You might be wondering how you can help, if you are, thank you. In the days to come I'm sure there will be more information on how you can directly help his family. The best way you can help our Chippy's is to support the organizations that support us. The 11-99 Foundation is a very important foundation that provides assistance to members of the California Highway Patrol and their families in times of crisis. The term 11-99 is the radio call signal that an officer needs assistance, it's the most dreaded call signal an officer can hear. Another great organization to support is the CAHP Widows and Orphans' Trust Fund.

Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers for the officer and his family. Thank you for the calls and messages to check on our family, it means more than I can express.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the links, it's good to know there is a way to help.

    ReplyDelete