Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer

Summer is the time when most people are in full swing with their training and racing. Summer is typically the opposite for me because I have a 7 and 4 year old who I stay home with over the summer. I also melt in anything over 83 degrees.

Now that my big races are over I decided to use the summer for base building in swimming and cycling. I had the bright idea to plug a sprint distance training plan into Training Peaks to follow to keep me on track and to see if I can find a way to actually get all of this training in. Right, now I remember why I do all of my training in the winter when the kids are in school. Let's just say there have been a few fails in trying to execute this plan. I'm going to keep trying because I have been in continuous training mode since September/October of last year and the payoff has been totally worth it! I'm just going to keep plugging along and try not to get too upset when things don't go exactly the way I had hoped, I do after all have 9 months before my first triathlon.

Most of you know that I have a Forerunner 610 by Garmin that I love. I bought it initially for running since that had always been my main focus. I have been using it recently for biking as well, it's nice that I was able to make one small purchase for the bike and now have some great cycling data as well. The only thing it doesn't do is swim and transitions. I haven't been too worried about this since my swim times aren't hugely important to me right now. I'm just trying to survive the yardage and build endurance. I'm not really in the market for a multi-sport gps watch right now, but I have been interested in and following Bia as they get ready to launch a new gps watch made for women by women. This week they launched their Kickstarter page looking for backers to launch the project. Essentially they need to raise $400,000 by July 13th in order to get the project off the ground. I am fascinated by this entire process. I had never heard of Kickstarter before and it's concept is pretty cool all on it's own. At any rate I decided to back the project and I'm hoping that they reach their goal because I sure would love to have that shiny new watch on my wrist come Spring of next year.

Of course, I have questions and wonder how the watch will work, will it be comfortable? Will the touch screen be too sensitive and where do I put the gps stick on my swim? Ultimately, I am really excited to try this watch and support these ladies who are chasing their dreams and making a watch for us! Which is why I decided to be a backer. Check out the website, there are many levels to chose from and I think it will be super exciting to watch this project take off and be part of it all. You can also check out their video on the right hand side of my blog to preview the watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment