Sunday, May 2, 2010

Devil Mountain Run 5k

Running a 5k the morning after your daughter's 2nd Birthday Party seems a bit ambitious and that's exactly how I was feeling this morning. Luckily, they mailed us our race bibs and timing chips so we were able to roll in about 30 minutes prior to the start and we were fine.

What we love about the Devil Mountain Run is that it is family oriented, well run, supports Children's Hospital and oh yeah, it's FAST and FLAT! This is our third year running the race and I'll admit it, I love it because it was my very first ever 5k.

With over 700 runners and the 5k and 10k starting together, the start line is a little crazy and most people don't pay attention to the sign markers guiding you where to start based on your speed. Scott had the disadvantage of the double stroller, while I was able to to maneuver through the crowd, I crossed the start line 30 seconds after the gun went off and Scott a full minute after the gun went off. We run for about a block before we hit the split, the 5k runners make a left, as we made this turn I look over to my right and see Scott running at a ridiculous speed pushing the stroller trying to get past all of us slow folks. The looks on the face of the two Search and Rescue guys was priceless. I'm sure they thought they would peeling him off the pavement about a mile down the road.

I found a nice pace and was able to keep my heart rate at a nice easy level. I knew I would be running slower than in past years, but I had to just get over the fact my life as a working Mom these days was not allowing the running time I would really like to be able to get in. As we hit the turn-around point, I felt good and was happy with the pace I had found. I took a cup of water at the aid station and walked briefly to drink it, I'm just not skilled at running and drinking, even at a walk I managed to spill water all over my watch. No time to waste since I was running a slow pace,  I ditched my cup ( I feel so guilty every time I throw a cup on the ground at race) and started running again. At this point we are running on the Iron Horse Trail and I see the 2 mile marker, that's good news! I work on just maintaining my pace and hope that I have something left for the finish line. Before I know it we cross an intersection and I can hear the finish line. By this point lots of people have filled the sides of the chute as we come in. there really is no one behind me or in front of me to help give me that final inspiration at the finish line, but I suck it up and sprint across the finish line anyway!

Crossing the finish line
41/87 in my age group, top half of the group


Mom and Sydney waiting for the kids run to start


Dad and his girls.
I am so proud of Scott who finished 5th in his AG while doing the Kid Haul, a PR from last years kids haul!


We very much encourage the every child is a winner attitude, but um yeah... Sydney came in first in her heat!


very pleased with herself.

Next up, CPOA Memorial Run next Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment